Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula angustifolia)
Lavender essential oil is one of the most popular essential oils with a wide range of uses. Despite being a floral oil, its fragrance doesn’t have the usual sweetness associated with such oils.
Properties Of Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil has the following properties:
Lavender Essential Oil Benefits And Uses
The primary uses and benefits of Lavender essential oil include:
- Relaxing the body and mind and easing nervous tension.
- Easing feelings of aggression, frustration and anger.
- Easing Headaches.
- Soothing muscular pain.
- Treating depression.
- Treating acne and other skin conditions, such as Eczema and oily skin.
- Soothing and treating insomnia.
- Wound cleansing.
- Treating the symptoms of colds and flu.
- Easing menstrual pain and other pre-menstrual symptoms.
- Treating and soothing burns and bruises.
- Easing the symptoms of hay fever.
- Treating cold sores.
- Reducing blood pressure and lowering cholesterol levels.
- Relieving the symptoms of asthma and allergies.
- Treating bacterial infections, such as athlete’s foot.
- Repelling insects and bugs.
How To Use Lavender Essential Oil
You can apply Lavender essential oil in the following ways:
- Add a few drops to your bath or shower.
- Use as a massage oil.
- Use as a compress.
- Diffuse using an essential oil diffuser.
Safety Advice For Lavender Essential Oil
- Lavender essential oil is generally safe to apply neat without diluting with a carrier oil. Some people may suffer irritation when applying it neat though, so you should always patch test on a small area of your skin first.
- Don’t ingest Lavender oil.
- Lavender oil may cause drowsiness if used along with sedatives.