Myrrh Essential Oil (Commiphora Myrrha)
The trunk of Commiphora plants exudes a yellow resin which turns into a reddish-brown substance when it hardens. This is Myrrh, which has been used for medicinal purposes since ancient times as well as for food flavoring, embalming and as a perfume.
Properties Of Myrrh Essential Oil
Myrrh essential oil has the following properties:
Myrrh Essential Oil Benefits And Uses
The primary uses and benefits of Myrrh essential oil include:
- Treating arthritis.
- Smoothing and preventing wrinkles.
- Chapped, cracked skin.
- Treating wounds.
- Easing colds, catarrh, sore throats and coughs.
- Gingivitis, gum infections and mouth ulcers.
- Treating diarrhoea.
- Hemorrhoid treatment.
- Appetite loss.
How To Use Myrrh Essential Oil
You can use Myrrh essential oil in the following ways:
- Use as a massage oil.
- Add to bath water.
- Apply topically.
- Use as a mouthwash.
- Use in a cold compress to treat sores/wounds.
- Add to lotions and creams.
Safety Advice For Myrrh Essential Oil
- Myrrh oil is generally considered to be safe.
- Not recommended duing pregnancy or nursing.
- Should not be used on children unde six years of age.