Peppermint Essential Oil (Mentha piperita)
Peppermint essential oil is found in many commercial products due to its many medicinal benefits and its strong aroma. It’s one of the cheapest essential oils due to the wide availability and easy growth of the plant from which it is made.
Properties Of Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil has the following properties:
Peppermint Essential Oil Benefits And Uses
The main benefits and uses of Peppermint essential oil include:
- Easing mental fatigue and improving concentration.
- Treating depression.
- Easing stress and anxiety.
- Relieving vertigo.
- Stimulating the digestive system, relieving nausea and other digestive problems.
- Treating respiratory disorders such as asthma and bronchitis, and easing respiratory infections.
- Relieving coughs and sinus congestion.
- Pain relief.
- Soothing toothache.
- Relieving skin irritation and itchiness, caused by conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Treating acne.
- Fighting fungal and viral infections, such as cold sores.
How To Use Peppermint Essential Oil
You can apply Peppermint essential oil using the following methods:
- Burners and vaporizers.
- Add a few drops to moisturizer or skin cream.
- Use as a massage oil.
- Add to your bath or shower.
- Use as a mouthwash.
- Ingestion, e.g. add a drop to a glass of water or cup of herbal tea.
- Use as a body mister.
Safety Advice For Peppermint Essential Oil
- You should not use Peppermint essential oil undiluted. Dilute it 50:50 with a carrier oil before applying topically.
- Patch test on a small area of skin before topical application.
- Peppermint oil will sting if it comes into contact with your eyes or a cut. In such cases, don’t wash with water as this will only make it worse. Flush with a carrier oil instead.
- Don’t use Peppermint oil on young children (aged about 6 and under).
- Do not use if you suffer from high blood pressure.